So pastels. Where to start…There isn’t really a hard and fast rule when it comes to wearing pastels which means that you can wear them in a bunch of different ways and still look like you know what you’re doing. My biggest tip is to make your choices look purposeful (i.e. you chose to wear this combo and you’re glad you did). Another tip? Pastels aren’t just for garden parties. Try incorporating a lilac sweater or light pink draped trench into your everyday wardrobe. You’ll feel much more confident donning pastels when they’re paired with other pieces you’re comfortable with like your favourite pair of jeans or go-to work pants. Start small if you’re unsure, pastel bags and shoes are also a great way to embrace this trend without fully committing.
When it comes to building an outfit with pastels, you can either go:
- 1. Monochromatic- so head-to-toe one shade of pastel. This look isn’t for everyone but it somehow comes across as super chic as opposed to juvenile. Try a pastel pink skirt with a matching oversized pink sweater and then add in some metallic or bright accessories.
- 2. Mixed – think colourblocking but with pastels. Something like mint jeans with a light yellow tank.
- 3. With Neutrals – so paired with white, black or denim (because denim is a neutral to me).
- 4. With Bright Colours – again, think colour blocking but with a rich, vibrant colour. Try pairing cobalt blue pants and a lilac blouse.
- 5. With Metallics – something about metallics instantly makes pastels look more modern.
- 6. With a Pattern – try pairing a pastel piece with something patterned (think a pastel tank with striped pants). A bold and slightly masculine print (like a stripe or a check) adds an instant hit of sophistication to any pastel.
Whether you opt for small touches or go head-to-toe, pastels are your friend this Spring. See how our ‘Girl in Focus’ Miranda Hudson incorporates pastel pieces into her wardrobe.
Go monochromatic in a matching sweater and dress (or skirt). It's also a great way to get a little extra mileage out of a "summer" dress.
Fitted Sweater available at H&M $29.99*; Statement Earrings available at H&M $14.99*; Monk & Lou Misty Pleat Chiffon Slipdress available at Plenty $89*; Nicholes Floral D'Orsay Pumps available at Aldo $80*.
Try incorporating a pair of pastel jeans into your wardrobe. They'll make you feel very "Springy" and are super easy to wear. Pair with neutrals or blue denim.
Boyfriend Jeans available at H&M $34.99*; White Blouse available at Reitmans $54.99*; Neck Scarf available at RW&CO. $19.99*; Dolce Vita Jene Knotted Sandals available at Town Shoes $160*; Belt available at H&M $7.99*; PiperWest Classic Minimalist Watch available at Privilege $189*.
Ok, let's be honest. A pastel suit can easily look a little "mature" if you don't style it correctly. Follow Miranda's lead and pair with metallic accessories and a colourful cami. If you're trying to keep it young, stay away from florals and anything with a collar.
Blazer available at Le Chateau $150*; Pencil Skirt available at Le Chateau $69.95*; Monk & Lou Silk Blouse available at Plenty $59*; Steve Madden Rose Pumps available at Town Shoes $110*; Metallic Necklace available at Le Chateau $25*.
A pastel sweater is a great way to play with pastels. Keep it oversized for an uber modern look. Pair with jeans (blue, white or black), with a denim skirt, with leather for an easy foray into the world of pastels or try your hand at colour blocking and add in a coloured bottom.
Oversized Sweater available at H&M $34.99*; MAVI Distressed Jeans available at Below the Belt $118*; Steve Madden Feather Metallic Loafers $100*; Oversized Hoop Earrings available at H&M $6.99*.
Girls' Night Out
Not totally sold on pastels yet? Try adding them in as an accessory instead of an actual piece of clothing. You might find yourself reaching for them more than you think. Pastel accessories are a great way to lighten up a "darker" outfit.
Monk & Lou Viva Striped Dress available at Plenty $79*; Shoulder Bag available at H&M $19.99*; Floral Scarf available at RW&CO. $19.99*; Sam Edelman Hazel Suede Pumps available at Hudson's Bay $175*; Statement Earrings available at H&M $19.99*; Belt available at H&M $12.99*.
*Prices quoted are regular prices, before taxes. Price and availability are subject to change. Please see stores for details.