Summer is a perfect time to experiment with colour (yes, even I take a break from my uniform of black on black in the summer)! Now I know that adding colour to your wardrobe can be a bit of a daunting task. I think most of us worry about looking too “loud”, too juvenile or clashing our pieces. Enter colour blocking – when done right, colour blocking can look uber chic, is more festive than all black and is easy to wear no matter your age or life.
Here are a few tips for colour blocking success (keep in mind that you don’t have to do these all at once):
- 1. Choose your colours wisely. Complimentary colours generally work the best but that doesn’t mean you can’t try other combinations out – you might be surprised what looks good.
- 2. Go bright or go home. This trend is all about standing out from the crowd so go for vibrant, fully saturated tones (especially when it comes to pinks, blues and yellows).
- 3. Look for a piece that’s already been colour blocked for you (either big block of colour or something striped). There are some great colour blocked dresses out there that take all the guesswork out.
- 4. Choose colours/pieces that make you feel good. If you love what you’re wearing, it’ll show.
Not 100% sold on head-to-toe colour blocking:
- 1. Try using your accessories to colour block (i.e. pair a bright pink dress with a large purple necklace).
- 2. Offset your colour blocked outfit with neutral accessories.
- 3. Mix in a white shirt. Pair a bright yellow skirt with a white shirt and blue sandals for an understated approach to colour blocking.
See how our ‘Girl in Focus’ Cindy Yu colour blocks her way to colour blocking perfection!
Dress them up, dress the down. Don't shy away from wearing colour with these bright shorts. Bright, mustardy yellow is everywhere this summer and is ideal for colour blocking. Added bonus - these are perfect for wearing to a BBQ!!
Available at H&M $29.99*
A classic camisole in a bright, complexion-flattering plum makes colour blocking easy. Pair with yellow, blue, emerald green, even red if you're adventurous.
Available at Reitmans $34.50*
Vince Camuto Raene Straw Tote
A straw tote really is a summer must-have. Since it's mostly straw - this bag acts like a neutral but the row of vibrant pom poms adds a little extra style.
Available at Hudson's Bay $189*
Ronisa Espadrille Wedge
If you're going to go for a neutral shoe, why not pick something slightly more interesting than basic black. These flatform espadrilles are perfect for walking the day away.
Available at GUESS $139*
Aveggio Double-Strand Necklace
A double-strand necklace ensures that your accessories stand out without overpowering your look.
Available at Aldo $15*
Gold Hinge Cuff Bracelet
This gold cuff bracelet is a perfect finishing touch to any look!
Available at Le Chateau $15*
*Prices quoted are regular prices, before taxes. Price and availability are subject to change. Please see stores for details.